If you are not already on our site please go to www.morkies.ca

SEE OUR AVAILABLE PUPPIES!

 This page has been written by the owner of www.morkies.ca as a courtesy to inform our clients of potential dangers to their dog.

Many things can be very toxic or poisonous to your new puppy that is food for humans.
It is recommended to read this page very carefully and also check with your own veterinarian for a more detailed list as well.
We have compiled a list of things that we feel are most harmful to your new puppy and can easily be fed to him/her with good motive, but resulting in harm and sometimes even comma and death.

Smoke from cigarettes:

and cigarette butts can lead to nicotine poisoning.
Ashtrays should be kept high, not on the ground on a veranda.
If you do smoke please smoke outside and do not bring your dog with you when you do this.
He/she is very tiny and has very tiny lungs and a very tiny heart and will not be able to handle the toxins of cigarettes well. It will cause many health problems, asthma, cancer and premature death.

Prescription Drugs:

Although drugs may be beneficial to us, for your dog it can be the opposite.
A very small amount of drugs can do serious damage to your dog.
The most common of these would be: Non steroidal anti-inflammatory medications,
ie. Advil also known as ibuprofen, naproxen which causes stomach and intestinal ulcers or kidney failure.
Antidepressants cause vomiting , heart rate increase, increase in blood pressure and seizures.
Isoniazid: Just one pill can cause seizures and coma.


Dog Poisons:


Flea and tick poison products poison thousands of dogs every year.
Small dogs are more vulnerable if they accidentally ingest these products or have too much applied on them, flea collars can be dangerous and are not necessary.
Only treat your dog for fleas if they are present. Safer methods are available.


Chocolate & Caffeine:

 may cause DEATH to your dog.
Chocolate contains a compound called theobromine which is a cardiac stimulant and a diuretic.

Many pet owners may give their beloved dog a chocolate "treat" and assume their pet is unaffected. However it may take several hours for sins of sickness to show, Death can take up to 24hrs.
Symptoms can include labored breathing, diarrhea staggering, vomiting, abdominal pain, fever, tremors , arrhythmia, seizures ,heart rate increase and lastly coma and death.

Cooking chocolate which is usually semi-sweet chocolate and cocoa powder are the most toxic forms of chocolate because they have a higher theobromine concentration in them then milk chocolate. A dog weighing 10 kg can become seriously ill if he consumes 250gm of cocoa powder or 250gm of cooking chocolate. These forms of chocolate are 10 times more higher in theobromine levels then milk chocolate. Therefore a piece of chocolate cake is a serious risk for a small dog. Even licking a little bit of chocolate icing could harm a dog.
The smaller the dog the more damage done.

Dark Chocolate

Alcohol: Symptoms of alcohol poisoning would include vomiting, breathing problems, coma and possible death.

Onions & Garlic:
Onions and garlic have an ingredient call thiosulphate. Onions contain more and therefore are more dangerous.

Dogs that have onion toxicity will develop haemolytic anaemia. This means your dog's red blood cells will burst while circulating .
Symptoms include: labored breathing, vomiting, diarrhea, liver damage, discolored urine and Hemolytic Anemia.

Poisoning occurs within a few days of ingesting the onion. All forms including cooked onions can be harmful. Your pet could easily ingest onions if given table scraps such as left over chicken soup, Chinese take-out, pizza, baby food  to list a few examples and more.

Garlic also contains thiosulphate but seems to be less toxic then onions and larger amounts would need to be ingested to cause toxicity.

Grapes and Raisins: mean DEATH to your dog!

Just a handful or raisins is needed to make a dog  ill. 1-2lbs of grapes would seriously affect a dog's well being and create toxic levels.
One of the worst cases a vet experienced seeing was a dog that had been poison was from raisins.
This dog got sicker and sicker and  the vet could not stop the renal (kidney) failure in this dog, he eventually passed.

Symptoms include:
diarrhea, abdominal pain, vomiting and tiredness.

Grapes

Nuts: Macadamia Nuts in Particular:
All nuts are a concern, but Macadamia Nuts seem to be of particular concern to dogs.

Macadamia Nuts contain a high level of phosphorus and can possibly cause bladder stones.
Symptoms include: Tremor of skeletal muscles, weakness or paralysis of the hindquarters.

Dogs affected usually have swollen limbs and exhibit pain when their limbs are manipulated.

Mushrooms:
Toxicity can occur in dogs from eating mushrooms and certain species can be fatal. Amanita phalloides are the most commonly reported species of mushroom reported but other Amanita species are also toxic,
Symptoms include: Drooling, diarrhea,  vomiting, abdominal pain, liver damage, kidney damage, convulsions, coma and death.

Baby Food: contains onion powder

Chocolate Cake: Contains cocoa

Xylitol: This is a sweetener found in many foods including gum and candy.
 It causes a rapid drop in blood sugar, resulting in weakness and seizures and in some cases liver failure.

Fish Bones and Chicken Bones:
These bones can cause obstructions or lacerations in the dog's digestive system.

Cat Food:
Generally too high in fat and protein.

Fat Trimmings:
Can result in pancreatitis.

Milk and Dairy products:
Some dogs do not have enough lactose enzymes so their body cannot break down the the lactose in milk causing diarrhea.

Raw Fish:
Feeding your dog raw fish can result in a vitamin B deficiency leading to loss of appetite. Also seizures.  In some severe case in death can result especially is raw fish is fed regularly.

Most house plants and some outdoor plants.

Just one Castor bean swallowed can cause severe poisoning and death.

Castor Beans

Very attractive Monkshood is deadly both to animals and people. does not even have to be ingested to die.
A child can die after holding flowers or the stems in their hand for 5 minutes!!!
Shockingly this plant is readily available in garden centres.

Monk's Hood
Monkshood most commonly is purple, can also be purple and white.

Rhododendron, lily of the valley, palms, Japanese yew are toxic.

We encourage you to check a detailed list of possible toxic plants for your dog.

One of the most common reasons dogs, especially puppies get ill, is from pesticides & fertilizers on your lawn or someone else's lawn. If the grass is not safe for you or your children, it is not safe for your dog either,
your dog can become very ill and in some cases puppies could even die from this.
Even natural weed killer can cause a small dog to vomit so it is best not to let your dog on the lawn until it is safe again.

ANTIFREEZE: SURE DEATH
Why antifreeze you ask? Because dogs are attracted to it and want to eat it, so if you are working in the garage, be sure your antifreeze is high on a shelf so your dog cannot knock it over and drink it.
Sadly many a pet pet owner has lost a beloved dog to this unnecessary tragedy.

Paint thinners and chemicals for pools.
House hold cleaners.

Bleach is a leading cause of pet poisoning resulting in stomach and respiratory tract problems.


Heavy Metals:

Lead is found in some paints and even lipsticks, linoleum and batteries.
If your dog eats this it can result in gastrointestinal and neurological problems.
Zinc poisoning can occur in a dog that has swallowed a penny, symptoms would be weakness from severe anemia.

Puppy proof your home!


Electrical cords should be secured and inaccessible to your dog. If your puppy or dog chews on them he can suffer electric shock and even die.

Just as you would do for a child keep all medications and cleaners out of the puppy's reach.
He/she is a baby!

Basement doors should be closed and be sure your puppy cannot fall out of a window.
puppies are very curious and have never felt pain so he wont know until it is too late!

Keep your puppy away from other pets until he/she is fully vaccinated which is 16 weeks of age.

Be sure to dispose of chicken and turkey bones in a garbage that your puppy will not have access too. He will rummage through and eat these bones.
They are hollow and can splinter inside him and cause intestinal bleeding.

Be sure to keep plants where your dog cannot chew them.
And try to eliminate the more toxic plants in your garden, it just isn't worth your dog's life, or your child!
2 most deadly would be monkshood and Castor bean both to people and animals.

We hope you found the above information helpful to you! We are glad to be of assistance in every way we can to aid you with your new puppy!

The above list are only some of the most dangerous things to your dog or puppy,
you can always get a list from your veterinarian.

Contact Us
or please return to our WELCOME page.